For those of your familiar with mobilizations with movements, here is a variation that requires even less force and gets you or your patient to end range that much easier!
Cervical Retraction and Extension Clinical Pearl
- this repeated loading strategy can feel uncomfortably or painfully blocked for several reps or even several sets before it gets easier
- this depends on how much you have been unloading prior to using the repeated loading strategy to reset the area
- the sensation of blocking is normally strongest around the lower cervical and upper thoracic area
- try lightly pulling the skin superiorly to slack it (as light a touch as possible) and try the same cervical retraction with extension
- it should feel much more comfortable with either little or no sensation of blockage
- have the patient perform their HEP mode as normal, only now with no "threat" of discomfort
Remember the OMPT Channel is still on sale until tomorrow at midnight! $10 off the first year - so $39.99 now, and half off the first month $2.50 - time to sign up and see hours and hours of videos, case demonstrations, every technique I've ever taught and more!
Keeping it Eclectic...