Tim Flynn gave a short presentation entitled Musculoskeletal PT: A Solution to Chronic Spinal Pain
Here are some disturbing stats:
- $86 billion in MD visits, clinics, surgery and prescription meds last year
- a Worker's Comp study with 725 fusion vs 725 controls
- surgical cases 1 in 4 chance of repeat surgery
- 1 in 3 chance of complication
- 1 in 3 chance of never returning to work again
- more deaths in spinal fusion group
- why is it still an option?
A study from 2004 showed that
- fusion rate rose by 77%
- THA and TKA only rose by 13%
What's the #1 predictor of having a spinal fusion in the US?
- zip code!
Another predictor is if surgeons own the MRI, the likelihood of having spinal surgery increased by 34%
Patients should ask
- do you own the MRI machine?
- and then state, I'm going to my Physical Therapist
All in all, just more verification that we are a much better, cheaper, effective, and less deadly alternative to spinal fusion. How about all the $$ we save gets passed on to us by those insurance companies already?