A reader who is currently finishing up MDT Credentialing requested a functional mobilization vid. These are my modifications to this very useful treatment.
Functional Mobilization Advantages
1) It's in WB, so the improvements carry over to functional positions
2) It is a 100% pain free technique - per Mulligan's rules
3) The force used is normally much lighter than traditional mobs/manips
4) Easily integrated into the MDT approach for home self treatment of derangements/dysfunction
PT: behind the pt
- use side of dummy thumb and place mob thumb pad over the dummy thumb. If from C2-7, mob is applied in 45 deg angle to the horizontal up and forward
- If on C1-2, apply mob directly P/A
- the mob should be sustained through the motion toward the restriction and on the way back
- repeat each technique for about 3-4 sets of 10 reps
- if no improvement is seen, you may
- increase the force
- decrease the force
- try one level superiorly, inferiorly
- try the other side despite still moving toward the restriction
HEP: I don't use a towel or strap as long as the pt has enough ROM in their UEs to reach their own neck. They can use MDT like guidelines for derangement reduction of 10 reps/hour or repeatedly throughout the day.
Keeping it Eclectic...