Pt: sidelying involved side up
PT: standing behind pt, table lower, or PT on a stool, or kneeling behind pt
- use the area between the PIP and DIPs of your 2nd and 3rd digits for contact.
- The area for treatment is posterior to the midline and anterior to the erectors.
- This is in between the inferior 12th rib and superior lateral iliac crest.
- slowly apply pressure laterally to medially until your fingers stop, assess the uninvolved side for differences in tone and tissue resistance
- the release is initially performed with oscillations, but can then be functionally released with the pt's ipsilateral UE going elevation repeatedly and then progression to the ipsilateral hip going into extension and adduction
- perform for 3-5 minutes or until it releases
- difficult to correct lumbar lateral shift
- limitations in sidegliding or sidebending/rotation
- buttock pain/symptoms
- SIJ dysfunction
Here is a stretch I find effective once you have released it manually.